30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 11

I am currently single, and I'm not unhappy about it. I know the reasons why I am single and I am fine with it. A lot of people would call it "too picky" and I'm okay with that as well.
What most people see about me is that I am way into women's rights (which I am) and that I'm against romance or romantic love. That is not the case at all. What I am against is "settling" I see it way too often. I am in love with someone I can't be with and dating anyone else would be "settling" and I don't want to do that to anyone or to myself.
Plus this idea that women are not complete without a husband, or that marriage is some sort of "goal" to be achieved. That is not what love is, not just in my perspective, but in reality.
I see posts a lot that really are harmful to society that say things like "if someone loves you they will be with you all the time" and things like that, and that is truly ridiculous. Women and men both want someone who does everything they say or want. Love is measured by gifts and how many facebook posts you can make about each other and etc. I see girls bragging about turning boyfriends into slaves. I'm actually tearing up thinking about it.
Putting these ideals into women's and men's heads isn't just sexist toward women, it's sexist towards men as well. Listen to the song "too late" by No Doubt. That song sums it up perfectly about how some women objectify men. Gwen was admitting to doing it herself, but at least she called herself out on it.
I think this is the reason I like PLL and once upon a time so much. PLL because it isn't a love story. But it has people who love each other in it. But they aren't like the tv tropes we usually see of couples, they show true love and especially haleb. They don't care if they make the other mad or don't do what the other says, they do what they think is best for each other regardless the consequences. And once upon a time really has the corner on true love, it's even a "thing" on the show. They say it out loud. But I remember early in season one, a particular scene stood out to me. It made me realize that underneath the fantasy, this show is real. The messages are real. It was a scene where Snow was going to sneak into the castle and stop Charming's (her true love) wedding to Abigail. She had to tell him how she felt but before she could get to him, she got captured by the king. The king threatened her, and forced her to tell charming she didn't love him and that he should marry Abigail. But he didn't force her by threatening her life, he threatened her with Charming's life. If you see this scene you won't ever look at those meme's that say "if they love you, they'll be your bf or gf regardless" the same ever again. Snow went into Charming's room and he was so excited to see her (he thought she showed up to answer his letter to come there if she loved him, which was the plan but you know) So here Snow was, knowing that if she told her true love how she really felt, he would be killed. So she looked him in the eye and said, "I don't love you" it was so heartbreaking to me, because I've been there, in a very similar situation. And I imagine it was even really hard for Ginnifer (the actress who plays snow) because she was and is in love with Josh (Charming) in real life, they are married. She told him to get married and move on, because she thought it was the best thing for him. I'll try and post the scene, it's so sad, but that's what love is. I won't spoil more for people who don't watch by giving context, but to quote Regina: "true love means giving up everything for the person you love"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

girl power, it's not new for me