girl power, it's not new for me

This line, in this movie was one of the many things I can look back on in my life that lets me know who I am, who I always was and who I'm meant to be. I remember as soon as she said this I felt something amazing. See what I hear most of the time is that people who start being like this, who stand up for human rights. Who stand up for what is right. Are brainwashed by hollywood propaganda. I'm not defending the people in hollywood, not everything they do is good, in fact it's mostly corrupt and there's a lot of discrimination within hollywood and all media as well. But here's something else, they don't have an agenda, they don't care if it's domocrat or republican, they care about money. And the people who work in hollywood are usually artists, artists see things that most people don't and they have ways of working their own beliefs into things. Those things get past the people in charge with ease as long as it will make them money. They aren't trying to stop one side or the other, therefore there are all sorts of different views available through all forms of art. And me, well I never in my life, as a child ever wanted baby dolls, I liked Barbie and ET and Jurassic Park. I have never had a dream wedding in mind, I never wished for the day I could be a housewife with kids, EVER. I had a pretend wedding once with an ET doll and we had a baby ET, but I just really liked ET. I never cared about that. Like Nicole's character in the stepford wives, "ever since I was a little girl" for me was not what other people wanted for me, and still seem to. I dreamt of maybe being a dancer or singer, but then I learned I could write too. I wanted something bigger than a picked fence life. Not bigger as in fame or more money, bigger as in a bigger purpose. When I started liking the Spice Girls, I got into "girl power" not because they were telling me to agree, it's because I was hearing someone speak my language for the first time. When I listened to "I'm just a girl" it was the same thing. I was still trapped in my small town, feeling alone in what I wanted, thinking it was impossible. I started watching "sex and the city" because Carrie and Miranda said things I already thought but thought i was the only one. I was a teenager and they were in their 40's but it showed me a lot, and taught me a lot. I didn't have to be married and have kids by age 21. It was like learning I wasn't crazy or doomed to live in a misery other people wanted for me. I didn't like those things and then get brainwashed into agreeing with them. I was drawn to them because that's how I already felt. I used to think feminism was something entirely different than what I now know it is. I used to think what most people who are against it think. See Carrie didn't want the same things I didn't ever want... but Charlotte did (Sex and the City) And I loved Charlotte and so did her friends. All four of those women were different and wanted different things out of life but they still loved and supported each other unconditionally. It was amazing. It's the same with Pretty Little Liars and so many other things. I didn't just now start not wanting those things, it's always been me, I just didn't know what to call it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

bold in faith