Open letter to Marlene King (& co.)

As I was watching the TCA's last night I thought, this is amazing. PLL has won almost every award they have been nominated for, for the past 5 years. Us fans are so dedicated, but also it's a good show. I'm not sure many people realize this but the way PLL is written and shot, is not like other shows, it's different. It has a classic story feel to it, it takes me back to a time when the people who made tv and movies thought about every little detail, every word, every facial expression. It never followed the typical tv-mystery formula. 

I started to watch eye candy and it was pretty good but I stopped because it made me want to delete facebook. Later I found out they revealed their version of "-a" and it was the worst possible choice, I thought "PLL would never go with someone that obvious" I hoped the show would pick someone that makes sense with every detail, that this has to have been planned from day 1. I thought that PLL wouldn't give in to wanting cheap and cheesy like the other shows. 

I had respect for the art of the show, I was proud of the show for incorporating literature and art, old movies (this show got me into old movies) and I thought, PLL mentions all this so that we can research these movies, books, and even names, and when we do, we will be mind blown at the thought and care taken to write this, everything matters, pictures on walls, cups, clothes. I was in awe of the care for detail. And I always thought PLL was the perfect show for everyone, it's not about ghosts or vampires or werewolves, there are gay characters that live normal lives without too much focus on that, which would make it just like every other show, Emily is just a normal high school person, it made a statement that the focus wasn't on that part of her life. 

And PLL is one of the few shows that didn't make fun of Christians, or treat the Christian characters as over the top goody two shoes, and even took Alison to church, the place of redemption, which was the best thing they've done with her, I did see clues for CeCe as A, but her in the red coat AND black hoodie, that's what you do with red herrings, it would be more of a surprise if she hadn't been A, or had been uber A, it would have fit BUT with all the info given about Charles and all the plot holes (I don't have time to list them all) none of it makes sense.

And anyone besides spencer killing Bethany makes me wonder why she woke up in blood and has been harassed about killing someone, that lead no where and it could have been a great piece of the motive, I know the show isn't over, and I don't know where it's going, but it's hard to swallow all the plot holes and dropped story lines with nothing fits. 

As I said I respected so much about this show, it's uniqueness, and now it's just like the others, it's following those same old formulas, I held this show to a higher standard, the reason people are so upset is because of the high bar that PLL set for itself about tying things in together. In the finale, it failed to reach it's own standard in so many ways, even the clothing CeCe wore was different and you can see a tv in the window she's watching the girls in. Even the room that was "a's brain" wasn't at all PLL style. 

Don't take all the backlash as an insult, take it as a compliment to the entire show, the whole series. This one episode, in my opinion, was a train wreck. Had it been some other show, I wouldn't have had such high expectations. And I personally believe that the finale was reshot after the leak, keeping the original would have been better. At this point, we can't be that shocked, and yet we can be shocked by anyone. We are only surprised now because it doesn't make sense, and because she already was revealed in two "a outfits" it was unimpressive then and still is. 

Sara isn't even a person that anyone cares about, I've seen maybe 2 fans that want her there, to have her an important reveal would be disappointing but 2?! that's just tragic. And to not show Jason's reaction after building his emotional connection to his brother? it was an opportunity missed. There would have been time and the story could have been told if Sara hadn't been a huge part of the season, she is so uninteresting, I truly hope greater care is taken after this and that there is a way this is fixed (the real Charles paid CeCe to lie, for example) but we don't care at this point if we are surprised, we want to be satisfied, we want the answer to make sense and fit not only clues, but characters and behaviors (you took her from me, isn't a good motive if that didn't even happen) there needs to be a bigger reason -a is doing this, please watch the whole series before the next reveal or hire and obsessed fan to help, thank you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

girl power, it's not new for me