art influences everyone

I get really frustrated when people tell me things like "it's just a song/tv show/book/etc." or "you care too much about that" or "you're obsessed" ... for one thing, I'm not sure what most people do, I do know most of the time people are consuming some sort of art (mostly tv) and they think if they don't care much and just watch it casually that it isn't affecting them, which isn't true... I guess I'll use a metaphor, when you consume art in a casual manner you become a mirror for those things being portrayed, you aren't aware or doing it on purpose, but over time, what you see or hear does start being reflected... when you do care about the content and contexts, and analyze what you consume (like I do) you are more like a microscope, you will take what you see or hear and analyze every aspect... (should this character have done this? is this realistic? am I like this person? should I be nicer? what does this song mean? is this content harmful to society?) based on actors facial expressions, I wonder what the actor was thinking while doing the scene, what was this singer thinking at that very moment as they sang this, I go as far as to wonder about friendships between football players while they are chatting or interacting during a game...  and so many more questions that I don't ask consciously, it's something that happens because that is just the way I am wired... take this new show about charles manson (I know he's already well known) but the fact that a show like that exists upsets me greatly, people do get obsessed with this sort of thing, but that is a real person, an evil person who doesn't deserve attention... when there are shows about that type of thing that are fictional (there should be for this reason) we are able and have the responsibility to the human race to handle this delicately, if you paint a character that does bad things as a "cool hippie" then you are sending the wrong message, we need those types of shows about fake people to be able to mold them and control the influence that it has... and so called "artists" who only make what people will consume without a second thought to it's impact, these people think that this stuff is their own... I write, I'm a writer, and if I take this gift and don't hold it and treasure it and see it as the amazing gift and responsibility it is, I am not showing respect to the gift, or God who gives those gifts... Troian Bellisario​ gave a speech on art, and she talks about how all art tells a story, and she said that to be a good artist, you have to humble yourself to the story... when I see people not doing that, it bothers me a lot... it bothers me when people abuse those gifts or try to fake them for personal gain.... if you don't believe me that all art, even ridiculous sci-fi movies, have an influence, look up what happened to that breed of shark after "Jaws" came out, people killed them to the point that they almost became extinct.... whether you realize it or not, you are affected, some people flat out tell me "you're obsessed with PLL, or think too deeply into lyrics, just watch it, just listen to it" ... that's because I am a microscope, not a mirror... I don't want to consume art without analyzing it first, to blindly be influenced without controlling how I react and reflect the art... lol to quote Jenna from PLL: "I feel a lot safer when I am in control of what happens to me"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

girl power, it's not new for me