Cody (miss you)

this is going to be hard to do, and it will be a long list of songs that either remind me of cody, songs he sang, or songs dedicated to him, so I'll just get right into it.

1) wish you were here by pink floyd
this was Cody's and my song, officially. we didn't live close to each other and we didn't drive yet so we didn't get to hang out in person. Cody decided this was our song and he would play his guitar and sing it.

2) glycerine by bush
cody played this song probably more than any other, and I would get so sick of hearing it because he played it so much, I would like to hear him play it again.

3) I walk the line by Johnny Cash
Cody used to sing this all the time, he could really sound just like Johnny

4) miss you love by silverchair
Cody probably sounded most like Daniel Johns naturally, more than any other singer. every time I hear silverchair I think of him. the weird thing about this song is that I listened to it about 2 months before he passed. I was listening and I just pictured him singing this to me, because I was engaged and wasn't "allowed" to talk to Cody, I still did in secret because we were friends, and I didn't feel bad about it and it wasn't fair that I couldn't. There was nothing sexual about our friendship, it was way more important and special than that, we didn't date or were probably never going to date, he was my best friend. I saw him about a month after the experience of listening to this and he had randomly popped into my mind and I saw him saying these words to me, plus it sounds like him. So when I ran into him I told him about it and how I thought they sounded similar.

5) 3 libras by a perfect circle
cody played this often, and the part that says "eyes like a tragedy" that perfectly describes the way cody's eyes looked, even when he was in a great mood.
6) closer by NIN
cody is the only guy I've ever sang with, we used to sing this together, he'd sing one part and I'd sing the next. I am sorry it's got cuss words as do some of these others, so disclaimer, this song is very r-rated.

7) the noose by a perfect circle
this song seems sort of morbid to add because it's title is what happened. after cody passed, my boyfriend played this on repeat a lot, I didn't feel like I was allowed to be sad about it and yet my bf played this over and over. and I thought cody's death was my fault, so this was like torturing me constantly, I don't know if he did it on purpose or for what reason but it's disturbing to think that he probably did.


8) passive by a perfect circle
this song is sort of aggressively fitting. Of course I've been angry lots for this, Cody could and would have probably been a doctor, he was smart enough, and interested in it enough. he was super smart and had so much potential, this song is directed to the person who is dead as if they can change it and wake up, that's how I have felt at times, just wanting to yell at him and tell him to change it. again there are cuss words in this,



9) goodbye blue sky by pink floyd
Cody was very excited to learn this instrumental and he played it for me and it was so beautiful, except later he said one part he did wrong, but that happened to be the part I liked best, and I begged him to keep playing it the way that was "wrong" because it sounded amazing, I wish I had a recording of him playing it the way he did

10) behind blue eyes
besides the obvious that cody had blue eyes, this song describes him well. Cody had a bad reputation and was well known for being a "freak" he was pulled out of a car and beaten severely by a group of rednecks simply for looking different. looking at he and I, you wouldn't think we'd be as close as we were but neither of us ever cared or thought about our outside appearances, Cody never acted "surprised" that I liked and knew about the same music as him just because I had blonde hair and wore pink a lot. we often talked about how silly it is to think you have to dress a certain way for people to believe you like certain things. we made fun of people that do that. anyway this song reminds me of all the people who didn't have the joy of really knowing Cody's actual personality.


11) unwell by matchbox 20
my mom actually randomly told me this song reminded her of Cody, she really liked him too. and I told him and he said it was very accurate to what he usually felt. (he wasn't "too cool" to listen to matchbox 20 either)

12) my immortal by evanescence
I have heard that amy wrote this song about her friend that committed suicide, not sure if that's true but it is very fitting for that, this song is so fitting for how I feel


13) forgive me by evanescence
this is a lesser known song, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be about but it really fits how I feel... it's sort of sad because the part she says "I need you to survive, so stay with me" it's like a desperate plea and it's too late, but I still feel like saying that and plus "forgive me" because I felt guilty for not being there for him when he needed me the most



14) The one that got away by Katy Perry
this song reminds me of Cody too, I know Katy meant it in a "bf/gf" way but I don't when I hear it, I think of Cody for lots of reasons.


15) play me Johnny Cash
I wrote this song about Cody, it isn't the first one. the other one I wrote is very sad and a little angry and I didn't want that to be the first song I shared with anyone because out of respect for him I wanted to write a song about him and how sweet he was and a song showing a glimpse of what he was like instead of a song just about me and my pain, a lot of the lines in the song are hard to understand but they mean a lot to me and would to him and some of it is explained in this blog, I still need to find someone to write the music for it.

and here are a few clips of Cody playing around on guitar from his myspace
Beautiful from Cody McGuire (RIP) on Myspace.

No Name from Cody McGuire (RIP) on Myspace.

Cody from Cody McGuire (RIP) on Myspace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

girl power, it's not new for me