secular songs that are "secretly" christian, or mention God in a positive way

I listen really closely to lyrics of songs, very closely, and I think about them thoroughly. Well I've noticed or found out from the artists themselves, that some songs people have heard, over and over, are talking about Jesus. I know people know about some songs like "bring me to life" or "my own prison" so I'm just going to list ones that are lesser known. Either lesser known that they are about God or just a lesser known song, in general, by someone really famous. With some there is flat out proof that they are about Him, some just sound like they could be and some are in between... I found/ know of a LOT, so I cut some and tried to keep it short but this is still going to be pretty long.


1) "walk the line" Johnny Cash
here's a quote from Johnny Cash himself about what he wrote the song about: Johnny, with the temptations outside his door and a new wife at home, wanted the lyrics to say, "I’m going to be true to those who believe in me and depend on me to myself and God. Something like I’m still being true, or I’m 'Walking The Line.' "The lyrics came as fast as I could write," says Johnny. "In 20 minutes, I had it finished." 
I don't think I need to say more to prove it, since he said so himself... here it is 


2) "dead and gone" T.I. ft. Justin Timberlake
T.I. tends to mention God in several of his songs, but I love the message in this one. I know he cusses a few times in this song, but this guy is writing a super smart song, every lyric. I just wish somehow every single kid in a criminal/gang situation, locally or anywhere were forced to listen to this on repeat until they get it. Some people might say that he's just talking about being "straight" and getting out of the crime/gang life, but there are lyrics that prove he's talking about God getting him out of the bad life, for example: the chorus, let me break it down
"I've been travelin' on this road too long (the wide and the destructive path)
Just tryin' to find my way back home (he's wanting to get back on the straight and narrow, home = living for God) 
But the old me's dead and gone" (11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. -Romans 6:11, and 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.-2 Cor 5:17)
need more proof? look at the hook:
"I turn my head to the East
I don't see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the West
Still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the North (towards heaven, where God is)
Swallow that pill that they call pride
That old me is dead and gone
But that new me will be alright" (refer to verses above)
I rest my case :)


3) "waterfalls" by TLC
I've known this song had a good message for a long time but it wasn't until I read the rap part that I realized it was also talking about God. Bless her dear soul, Lisa "left eye" Lopez was one of the greatest rappers of all time, so you can't really catch what she's saying because she's going too fast. you can understand them some if you pay attention but people rarely do
Here are her lyrics: 
"I seen a rainbow yesterday
But too many storms have come and gone
Leavin' a trace of not one God-given ray
Is it because my life is ten shades of gray
I pray all ten fade away
Seldom praise Him for the sunny days
And like His promise is true
Only my faith can undo
The many chances I blew
To bring my life to anew
Clear blue and unconditional skies
Have dried the tears from my eyes
No more lonely cries"

I don't think I need to explain this, I'd hope not lol 


4) "who am I living for" by Katy Perry
well, just listen to it or read the lyrics, 50% of the lyrics are based on Bible verses, and a phoenix is a christian allegory (thanks to my sister for telling me) so anyone who just thinks it's some random thing, it isn't. Also, this song isn't from one of her Gospel albums, this song was on "teenage dream" after she already starting singing secular music.So it's like she knows she's walking a fine line, you can tell by the lyrics she's struggling. I know Katy is known for controversy but pray for her, there is a part of her that means what this song says, I know it and I hope she realizes soon. This song makes me cry, she asks "who am I living for?" I pray so hard that Katy chooses to live for Jesus Christ



5) "sober" by Pink 
this is just a possibility, this song has a good message about how "partying" gets boring and awful...but the part of the chorus says "You're my protection, perfection (2&3)" so who is she talking about? just something to think about. listen to the lyrics and think about it. 
p.s. this is a live audio so props to her for being totally vocally amazing! 


6) "amazing" by Aerosmith
yep, that's what I said. Listen to the lyrics closely and tell me you think I'm wrong for thinking it's possible. Stephen may have even used the title as an homage to "amazing grace". There isn't proof of that but it's just something to consider... people love to think that "rockers" wouldn't say things like this but those people are basically in denial, in my opinion. I personally think he's talking about how as a teen he couldn't be good enough and thought that was what was expected of him, so he walked away. Then after basically hitting rock bottom he realized that it's not about that at all ("you've gotta learn to crawl before you can walk") and that God had been keeping him alive and safe "through all his sin" 





7) "bother" by stone sour
I was gonna save this for last because a lot of people would disagree. But with the note I left off on the last one about people being in denial about "rockers" wanting to be christian, I thought it was appropriate. I know this song as a whole is about Corey Taylor's depression, but there is a line that at first made me a little uncomfortable and then I put it in context and thought of it differently. 
he says: "stones to throw at my Creator, masochist, to which I cater" and I was like "hold up!" what does he say before this? it starts: "wish I was too dead to cry, my self affliction fades" and the whole song is almost about self loathing, wishing he couldn't feel feelings and how he can't say how he really feels... so what does that line mean? a lot of people on the internet think it means he's angry with his Creator, (some say it's about his parents, but I don't think so) but when you listen to it, he doesn't sound mad, at all, in that line. To me he sounds remorseful. I wish I had a way to explain it so that people could see it the way I do. But he says that, then immediately mentions "masochist" so he's saying by hurting himself, and hating his life he's basically throwing stones at his Creator,(we are made in the image of God and when we feel pain, He does) and he (Corey) sounds remorseful to me. And I know that were he angry, he'd sound angry, because later in the song he says "so you fed me sh** to digest" and uses a very angry tone. In my theory about this, he's talking about "the world" and society, in that angry line. If you just listen to the whole song with my theory in mind, it's not hard to see it that way, not that it's a Gospel song but that he wasn't being mad in that line, and that he wants to be a christian but it's really hard for him to feel things, because when he does, he feels it so much that it hurts and because of his depression. That theory fits with the chorus as well, this one takes a lot of critical thinking but give it a try if you want.


8) "home" sung by Phillip Phillips
Phillip didn't write this song, but he has said he's a christian. I think that this song was totally meant for him because the way that it came about to be his first single: (from wikipedia) "The song was written by Drew Pearson and Greg Holden, and chosen by Jimmy Iovine as a coronation song for the eventual winner of Season 11 of American Idol, Phillip Phillips. According to Drew Pearson, it was originally intended for Greg Holden, but was submitted to Idol as a possible finale number by Pearson's publishing company, Pulse Recordings. Pearson and Holden had previously not met before but were brought together to write the song, with Holden the primary lyricist. The song was written in three hours in Pearson's studio in Burbank, California in November 2011. Originally it had only two verses, but an arrangement change was made about a month after it was written, and the second verse was repeated.] A demo was recorded, and Holden had performed the song in his tour, but he expressed no intention of releasing his recording of the song. After the release of the song, Phillips said that while the song and its writers are "really good", "it's not really something I would write". He also revealed that he had wanted to use a song he co-wrote with his brother-in-law, "Drive Me," as the coronation song.Phillips said that "I "didn't have time to let it grow and become my own before we recorded it"."[10] Later he said he was "starting to grow a connection" with the song,[19] and that "I kind of sing it like me, and on the guitar I do some different strummings on some parts, so it's coming along."

the song was divinely meant for Phillip in my opinion, listen to all the lyrics. It sounds to me like God was telling him, very specifically, something about his new life as a famous person and the struggles he'd face. "I'm gonna make this place your home" this place being, in the spotlight and his new career, or on the road. All 3 of those things basically. 





9) "wave on wave" by pat green (covered in this example by Craig Wayne Boyd and James David Carter)
the lyrics are pretty obvious so I'm not explaining it, (although it was necessary to add it because a lot of people on the internet think it's about a romantic relationship because people don't like to think outside the box, lol) I used this cover because you can clearly see by his repeatedly pointing skyward that Craig gets the song meaning. (plus I wanted to shamelessly promote these two artists, haha)
 


10) "turn back time" -aqua
this one is only a maybe, I just wanted to also add it so that people can hear how good her voice really is. this is the same aqua that had the song "barbie girl". There are some lines in there that makes me think that it's possible. It's a pretty song and you should check it out and see what you think...


wow okay, kept it at an even 10, good job me! here's a quick list of other possibles, honorable mentions or ones that I know weren't written for that reason but when I listen to them that's what I personally think of... 
"one" by creed (and most other creed songs)
"forgive me" by evanescence 
"if everyone cared" by nickelback (yea I like them, and I'm not ashamed)
"believe" Lenny kravitz
"because you loved me" Celine Dion
"comedown" by bush
"alive" by pearl jam
"tomorrow's sin" Korey Henry (would have been on the list but don't have a video) 
"the voice within", "I turn to you"& "feel this moment (her part)" all Christina Aguilera 
"dark side" Kelly Clarkson
"standing outside the fire" Garth Brooks
 there's a lot more out there that are secular but also about God, like a lot of Carrie Underwood, and like a whole lot more, like a lot, but I left out some that most people would know by just listening to them (hopefully) I love those songs too, I just wanted to make a list to show that there's even more than that if you look (or listen) a little deeper.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

music piracy... is stealing more than just music, it's stealing hopes and dreams

30 Day Writing Challenge- Day 20

girl power, it's not new for me